Sunday, November 21, 2010

Going Straight With a Chaser

Last night I had a Girl's Night out!

Can you tell I was a bit excited? I was. Why is that exactly? Well, to start with it was a Saturday night out, most Saturday evenings Mad Dog is working and I'm home with Lex and Loki. Not that I mind this at all. Once the kids go to be I usually get a little quiet time to work on projects, read, watch a movie or even play a video game. But last night I went into Boston and met up with my friend Stacy, from work. We had gotten tickets to see Straight No Chaser. Straight No Chaser is a male cappella group. They formed about 12 years ago while they were students at Indiana University. They can be seen on YouTube and has a special on PBS.

I found them last Christmas on AccuRadio, while listening at work. I fell in love with The Christmas Can-Can. Stacy was already a fan when I discovered them. To make a long story short when Stacy found out they were going to be in Boston at the Wang Center we were there.

Coming from different ends of the world we met in the city. I parked over at the Boston Common and walked down to the Theater District, meeting her in front of the theater. Rather than fight for a table at any of the many restaurants in the Theater District, we decided the food court at City Place (in the Transportation Building) was just fine. We grabbed food at Sandella's Flatbread Cafe. Oddly enough we both ordered different version of the same thing. Stacy had an Aloha Grilled Flatbread, while I opted for the Aloha Salad.

After eating we made our way back to the Wang Center and found that we had the greatest seats! We were directly center on the Mezzanine. No matter who they put in front of us (we're both a little short) we were going to be able to see (no booster seats needed).

The show was amazing. They did a mix of music, and even through in some Christmas music since it was so close to the holidays. Highlights of the show were when the performed: Billie Jean/Poison (Bell Biv Devoe), Cartoon Medley and a tribute to Lady Gaga. They closed the show with and unbelievable performance of Holy Night, silencing the whole theater an singing without the aid of microphones.

We took our time getting out of the theater, choosing not to fight the crowd. We parted ways at the door and Stacy headed with the crowd to the parking garage next door and I started my walk back to the Common. On my way back I stopped at Starbucks for a Latte. I managed to beat the crowd, which made this completely worth the side trip. Instead of a Latte, I ordered a Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate. This is completely not on my diet, but it was a treat. If you have a chance to have one - DO IT! This drink is unbelievable. I drank it as I made my way back to the Common. I paid my $11.00 for parking and was no my way.. I gave Mad Dog a call to let him know I was on my way home once I was on the pike.

It was a great evening and I must thank Stacy for it. If you have a chance to see Straight No Chaser (they're in Providence tonight - it's sold out) you really need to go, other wise check out YouTube and iTunes. Oh and get a Salted Caramel Hot Chocolate while you're at it, what the hell make it a big night out!

No comments: