Saturday, September 11, 2010

My Three Uncles and Aunt

Brent & Loki
I am the oldest of three children. I have two younger brothers, Sean (30) and Kevin (27). Though we haven't always gotten along, we find ourselves in a good place now a days. All three of us are currently married and each of us along with our partners have found a way to complement the group dynamic each in a different way.

With Sean and Tiffany living in Fort Lauderdale, we don't get to see them often. Visits usually happen twice a year. This week happens to be one of those weeks. Today we found the time to get together for a little family time at my Mom's house, they place where we grew up. Mad Dog had to work, but Lex, Loki and I made the trip down from Worcester. The kids love their Uncles and Aunt. Lex of course is happy to see everyone right away, where Loki has to warm up to everyone.

Sean, Tiffany & Lex
I am currently the only one of the three with children. I don't see anything wrong with this since, my brothers and their partners are a minimum of 5 years younger than me. At my brother Sean's age I had just met Mad Dog and it was 17 months later that I got pregnant with Lex (he was planned, we just didn't think I would get pregnant on the first try).

There are of course two different things were talking about here. Wanting kids and having kids. Both my brothers are very good with children in their own way - though I think with some polish they could be better. Having said that, nothing makes you a better parent than hands on training. I started thinking about this tonight since very recently there have been two new additions to our extended family. My cousin Christopher and his wife just had a son, J.T. (John Thomas born on 9/2) and my cousin Amy and her fiancĂ© Sam just had their daughter Kiley born this morning (9/11). Both events are very exciting. These events coupled with seeing them with Lex and Loki today make me wonder, will my brother's have children?

Kevin & Brent
I don't know the answer to that, and I don't usually ask questions about it. In some ways I feel it's more complicated for Kevin and Brent, since they will be looking at adoptions or a surrogate mother, on the other hand getting pregnant isn't any cake walk at times either. Honestly I don't know their feelings on the subjects of having, not having, wanting or not wanting kids. It's not my business, but knowing the two of them and knowing how much Lex and Loki mean to me and enhance my life I hope they do.

It might be put better if I said that I hope they both know that they would make good parents. They both have a strong bond towards family and know the importance of it. They are also stronger than they might think they are. When I started this entry I had a clear picture of what I was going to write, but now writing it I'm a little lost.

What I do know is that there are two little kids in the other room that had a wonderful fun filled day because of the four people they spent it with today. They adore their time with them and can't wait for the next. Each time they warm up a little quicker or take to one person more than another, but either way they love every moment they have with them. Thanks for being great little brothers and wonderful big Uncles (you too Brent & Tiffany).

No comments: