Monday, April 5, 2010

Little Rock 'n' Roll Heart

I have no music talent. When I was a kid I tried the Saxophone and then the piano, but we learned early on that I wasn't going to be playing any concerts anytime soon. Lucky for me I had other talents in the arts. With all this say music has shaped my life and memories.

When I was a kids I remember playing records on my Mom and Dad's stereo in our living room. I would dance around and stop the moment anyone came into the room. What was I listening to? Blonde, Meatloaf, Wings were the sounds of our house. At my Grandmothers, I would listen to records on her old record player hearing the sounds of Rosemary Clooney, Louis Prima, Claudio Villa - which basically was like listening to The Big Night Soundtrack. On road trips I would hear the sounds of the Beatles, Don Mclean, and Fleetwood Mac with my Dad drumming the steering wheel. In junior high and early high school my friends and I would make music videos in our basement to The Beastie Boys, Madonna and Guns N' Roses. The list goes on and on.

My musical tastes are all over the place. My Ipod bounces from one genre to another and surprise people from time to time (even Mad Dog). When woman get pregnant they play Mozart or Beethoven, though I love classically music that wasn't the way I went. I would be in my car, playing music loud for Lex to hear in the womb, but my selections were Billy Joel, Eric Clapton and Ookla The Mok. When he was born, I didn't sing him Rocka-Bye Baby I sang him Birdhouse to Your Soul. I have never not listened to what I want. Even now when Lex asks for music, I play him a song and play me a song opening his eyes to other music. Some of his favorite songs are: Real Gone by Sheryl Crow, Hey Baby by No Doubt, Teen Titans by Puffy Ami Yumi and Life is a Highway by Rascal Flatts. Last week he became a huge fan of Mambo Italiano by Rosemary Clooney, asking for "Mambo" time and time again.

Loki is a rock and roll fan, knowing just the right place in Real Gone to place the "Uhh". Quite often you will find Loki dancing in the Kitchen on singing to herself in bed. She is always drumming something. Because of this the Easter Bunny brought our Little Rocker a Drum. A PINK Drum (Fun in a Drum by First Act Discovery - not this one exactly). Yes, I know - STUPID PARENT. But honestly it's not that bad and she loves it. She knows how to use the sticks and she even sets the tambourine next to the drum and plays between the two. She plays and gets all excited. I promised her if she want to play this and commits to it I will by her a bigger set (Yes, I remember she is only 16 months and no I'm not STUPID but comes on a DRUMMER how cool is that).

Today when it came time for Loki's "song" I put on Eric Clapton's "I've Got a Rock 'n' Roll Heart". Lex asked if it was Loki's song and I told him yes! I have a lot of GOOD music to introduce her too before Mad Dog pulls her to the dark side.  I have not doubt in my mind that my Little Drummer Girl in her leather jacket and mischief smile has a Rock 'n' Roll heart deep down inside.

No comments: