Saturday, November 13, 2010

Little Super Models and I Felt that Food

My list of projects since the passing of Halloween has grown longer (oddly enough). With the holidays coming I have many things to get done, some with specific deadlines and others without.

Within the last week I have started gearing up to make some Christmas gifts for Loki. She is getting a play kitchen from Santa (I picked it up on clearance in January/February of this year) and though she has a bunch of play food, I thought it would be fun to make her some. This completely started with the idea that I would make her some felt ravioli. Very simple and cute all at the same time. I made a run to Jo Ann Fabrics earlier this week and picked up some felt and found that they had Simplicity patterns on sale 5 for $5.00. I picked up a great pattern, 2445, which happens to be for play felt food. At a dollar I couldn't not buy it, even if I can't sew I would get through an eggplant or cupcake if it killed me.

Along with the play food I have fallen in love with a blog called i am MOMMA - hear me ROAR! . She does all kinds of amazing things with old t-shirts, fabric and stuff. I first noticed her blog when someone reposted her project called : Upcycled T-shirt Dress. I had to make one for Loki. It's easy. You even sew together the seams on the outside to give it that messy patchy look. I rummaged through stuff of mine, Mad Dog's and even Lex's (mostly Lex's). I found a Star War onies that was 24 month that I could cut. The top would fit Loki, but she wouldn't be caught dead in a onies now - so here come the scissors. Snip, snip. Then I pulled together a few other t-shirts, stained and just thing a little to boyish to put her in.

During our errands today I stopped at A.C. Moore and picked up fabric paint, stamps and thread. Once Mad Dog left for work and the kids were eating lunch I started cutting. I stamped two of the shirts with different foam stamps I picked up and then broke out the sewing machine. I'm happy with the end results, though I wish I had Mad Dog's 10 Things I Learned from Video Games t-shirt to cut up. Damn I was a week too late! I would love have a picture of my lovely Loki wearing it to show you how cute she looks, but Miss Thing was not in the mood for a fitting, nor was she up for a photo shoot (Tyra doesn't to put up with this from her models). Maybe tomorrow if her Heiress is up for it.

After the dress was done I moved on to my felt food. I started with the ravioli since I new that was simple. I sewed little squares of felt together and stuffed them with a little poly-fill. Using pinking shears I cute the edges. I then moved on to the bow tie pasta. Cutting rectangles with regular scissors and then using the pinking shears on the ends I folded them in an accordion. Then by hand stitched the center. I am planing on making a little box from poster board or foam core for them.  I have to pick up a little more of the cream felt to make some more, (I purchased a 1/4 of a yard of this felt instead of buying the squares since it was a little heavier weight.)

Next up were the strawberries. Since Loki loves the berries I thought this would be a wonderful addition to her kitchen. I have to find a little container for them, or I might build one out of popsicle sticks (which I bought today for projects with the kids). The strawberries came from the Simplicity pattern and were made from 9x12 pieces of felt and embroidery thread. I'm very happy with them. 

What else am I planning? I am making an eggplant, squash, and carrots. I have to poke around the internet to see if I can find any other ideas. That was Saturday, tomorrow I am hoping to work on the Giddy-Up Horses for the kids. I have everything for them now that I picked up the right size dowels from Lowe's (thank you for trying Mad Dog). I have to get as much done as I can, since next weekend is a only one project day (our Saturday is INSANE! - but all good). Rather than be blogging I should be cutting, sewing and creating. Or maybe I can get in a little Civ 5 before Mad Dog gets home. Oh decisions, decisions...

No comments: