Monday, July 19, 2010

122 Miles and How Many "Are We There YET?'s"

With a packed car, three children and 2 1/2 hour drive ahead of me makes me stomach turn. Don't get me wrong I love road trips, I mean I am the woman who has driven 6 1/2 hours with a 6 month old and later with a 2 year old and a 9 month old. I love road trips and their not all that bad with kids. I will say with 2 kids, adding the third makes things a lot stickier. Regardless of all that we climbed into the car to leave for Maine.

We had packed everything we needed for four days in Alfred. We brought with us vegetables from our CSA and meat from the Meat Farm, along with a packed lunch for the ride up. We left around 10:30 AM since I had issues with uploading my book onto my I-pod (I wasn't leaving without it). The plan was to drive up making several stops hopefully preventing Loki from getting car sick. Lex and Gabrielle watched a movie on the portable DVD player (which in some ways on it's last leg). Each of the family wore their family vacation t-shirt  (check out post: Are We There YET!)at the request of Gabrielle, which loved them. Mad Dog and I filled the tank at the gas station and picked up an Iced Latte and Chai to help us make it through the morning.

Mad Dog drove and I started me Salem's Lot audio with my camera  on my lap. I planned to be trigger happy on this trip if I could help. I have a bad habit of getting caught up in the craziness that I forget to snap a few off. Loki fell asleep between Worcester and the New Hampshire border, because of this we didn't stop in Burlington as planned continuing on as far as we could go while she slept. We ended up stopping at the New Hampshire Welcome Center. Adults had bathroom breaks, kids got run around time and we all had lunch before climbing back into the car.
We arrived in Alfred around one o'clockish. Our plan was to set up the tent first thing since there was a forecast for rain that evening. The kids played as I unpacked the cooler and Mad Dog set to work on the big tent. I set up a smaller tent in the side yard but the door for the kids to play with. It's a Coleman pop-up tent we picked up on clearance several years ago. The kids ran out their energy and we ran down the day.

Before we knew it, we had dinner - Spaghetti (a request of Gabrielle's) and garlic bread. As the day ended and moved into night the thunder rolled in the distance and a cool breeze came across the lake. Mad Dog and I were ready for bed before bed was ready for us.  

No comments: